I have an older (2005) book, Alphabet Quilts, with some really cute quilts in it. All have letters in them. This is the first one I’ve made from the book.
The border is a fabric I’ve had for at least ten years that I’ve always liked. I can’t see it when it’s on the shelf so decided I should put it in a quilt. The border is quilted in a double cable and the baskets and letters are outlined. It finished at about 27 x 32.
I put the quilt on a picket fence in front of my bay window for the photo. The fence keeps my dog from going through the old glass windows. Everything outside was very wet but the sun was out (finally) so there’s a glare at the top.
This is another post that seems to have disappeared so I’m rewriting it. What’s up with that?
One of my nice friends sent me a pattern for this little quilt. I still haven’t decided if I should ‘age’ it or leave the letters as is. What do you think?
I posted this and it vanished! I wonder what happened.
It seems Lori‘s little Simple Abundance quilt has made it all over blogland. It truly was a simple quilt to make. Thanks, Lori, for taking the time to post measurements for us to follow. I loved making this.
The blue I used in the center is from a quarter yard piece my daughters put in my Christmas stocking many many years ago. I really love it and, since there’s so little, I use it sparingly and only where it will show. I rarely fussy cut but did for this piece. I also made sure all the children are standing on their feet rather than their heads in the pieces around the center star. I used a thin batting but if I make another quilt this small, I’m either going to split the batting or use a different brand I have that’s thinner. This picture is pre-washing so the marks I made for quilting are still in and will probably show.
Happy New Year! I hope 2013 is a wonderful year for all of us.
I finished this quilt last week but with a new baby and Christmas (twice because the new mom was in the hospital on the first one), I never had a chance to get a picture. You know how that is, I’m sure.
This is the top half. The quilt is long and thin so I folded it across the middle to fit it in the picture. It’s actually flat – it’s hanging by two clothes pins here and looks really wonky!
And this is most of the bottom half. I missed the red flowers but they’re there!
I’m using Elements v. 8. If anyone knows how to reduce the number of pixels in pictures, please let me know. All of them I post seem huge and I’d like to reduce the size.
Moving right along –
On the left are the borders. On the right is the pile of scraps after I trimmed the doll blocks to size.
The applique shapes cut out and marked. I’ll remove the paper before I stitch them on.
The blocks are done and I have revised directions in case I ever make this again – or in case anyone else decides to make it.
The instructions in the book are really limited – not a problem if you’ve been quilting for a while. Then there is a page of templates for the dolls and they are definitely not rotary friendly. They are drawn cut size. If I made it again, I’d sketch it out finished size and paper piece it. As careful as I was, there were a few issues. One of them is that the pieces are just a little bit different in size on opposite sides and the difference is so small that it’s hard to tell by looking. But, sew them wrong and the block is very wonky where it shouldn’t be. And it’s hard to cut with paper templates without shaving a bit off here and there. Drawing around a harder template still throws the seam line off just enough to throw off the accuracy. I think it would be much more accurate paper pieced. Much as I personally don’t like that method, this would be my exception!
Another change: The directions say to add a 1 1/2″ strip on each side of the doll blocks. Because they weren’t exactly the same size, and a couple weren’t quite square, I cut the strips bigger so I could trim the blocks up to be square and the same size. The other thing I’m doing is waiting to trim the blocks until after I make the sides. If you look back at picture of the quilt in the book, you can see there are triangles on the sides. I thought it would be easier to finish the sides, then figure how big to make the blocks and that’s turning out to be the case.
Many years ago, I saw this quilt –
And I knew I had to make it. It’s from this book –
Truly was what I’d named one of the first small porcelain dolls I made so it seemed doubly perfect.
Here’s what I have so far –
Ready to assemble the doll blocks