I posted this and it vanished! I wonder what happened.
It seems Lori‘s little Simple Abundance quilt has made it all over blogland. It truly was a simple quilt to make. Thanks, Lori, for taking the time to post measurements for us to follow. I loved making this.
The blue I used in the center is from a quarter yard piece my daughters put in my Christmas stocking many many years ago. I really love it and, since there’s so little, I use it sparingly and only where it will show. I rarely fussy cut but did for this piece. I also made sure all the children are standing on their feet rather than their heads in the pieces around the center star. I used a thin batting but if I make another quilt this small, I’m either going to split the batting or use a different brand I have that’s thinner. This picture is pre-washing so the marks I made for quilting are still in and will probably show.
Do any of you remember his song “Flowers are Red”? I liked this pattern the first time I saw it, a Fig Tree quilt named Gerbera Daisy (or is it Daisies?). But the quilt has only red in the flowers, all 15 of them. I thought about calling mine Mixed Bouquet but then I put on an old album and Flowers are Red played. And so it was named! Mine has 12 blocks, all different fabrics for the flowers, rather than 15 blocks. 15 made a quilt too big for what I needed. The pattern also has a checkerboard border which I left off, again because it would have been too big. The blocks are cut 13 wide by 21 high and I made three rows of four flowers with a binding made from left over flower fabrics. The quilting is a big stitch in Pearle cotton. It’s been cold and gray here lately and I wanted something bright and spring-timey looking.
I appliqued the flowers, leaves, and stems on the borders, then sewed the borders to the blocks. I appliqued the corner flowers on after the borders were sewn on – too many seams under them! Now it’s pinned and I’m working on the quilting.
Moving right along –
On the left are the borders. On the right is the pile of scraps after I trimmed the doll blocks to size.
The applique shapes cut out and marked. I’ll remove the paper before I stitch them on.
The blocks are done and I have revised directions in case I ever make this again – or in case anyone else decides to make it.
The instructions in the book are really limited – not a problem if you’ve been quilting for a while. Then there is a page of templates for the dolls and they are definitely not rotary friendly. They are drawn cut size. If I made it again, I’d sketch it out finished size and paper piece it. As careful as I was, there were a few issues. One of them is that the pieces are just a little bit different in size on opposite sides and the difference is so small that it’s hard to tell by looking. But, sew them wrong and the block is very wonky where it shouldn’t be. And it’s hard to cut with paper templates without shaving a bit off here and there. Drawing around a harder template still throws the seam line off just enough to throw off the accuracy. I think it would be much more accurate paper pieced. Much as I personally don’t like that method, this would be my exception!
Another change: The directions say to add a 1 1/2″ strip on each side of the doll blocks. Because they weren’t exactly the same size, and a couple weren’t quite square, I cut the strips bigger so I could trim the blocks up to be square and the same size. The other thing I’m doing is waiting to trim the blocks until after I make the sides. If you look back at picture of the quilt in the book, you can see there are triangles on the sides. I thought it would be easier to finish the sides, then figure how big to make the blocks and that’s turning out to be the case.
Many years ago, I saw this quilt –
And I knew I had to make it. It’s from this book –
Truly was what I’d named one of the first small porcelain dolls I made so it seemed doubly perfect.
Here’s what I have so far –
Ready to assemble the doll blocks