We tried the green hats on Matt and, small as they are, they’re too big. I casually asked if that meant I should look for some yarn to make another and DD was back in a flash with a skein of blue yarn from her stash. I measured his head and this is the result —
Three rows of 2×2 cable and the rest is stockinette, all on round needles.
Happy New Year! I hope 2013 is a wonderful year for all of us.
I finished this quilt last week but with a new baby and Christmas (twice because the new mom was in the hospital on the first one), I never had a chance to get a picture. You know how that is, I’m sure.
This is the top half. The quilt is long and thin so I folded it across the middle to fit it in the picture. It’s actually flat – it’s hanging by two clothes pins here and looks really wonky!
And this is most of the bottom half. I missed the red flowers but they’re there!
I’m using Elements v. 8. If anyone knows how to reduce the number of pixels in pictures, please let me know. All of them I post seem huge and I’d like to reduce the size.
Our Schnibble this month is a fairly easy one – a pincushion. I made mine even easier by making it smaller. For me, it’s a good size. When I do hand sewing, I like to have empty needles on one pincushion and threaded needles on another so smaller works better.
I admit, this isn’t my best picture! I took it with my iPhone while trying not to cast a shadow so I couldn’t really see what I was doing but you get the idea. I still need to stuff it but the machine stitching is finished. The fabric is by April Cornell. As always, stop by Stina’s at Pink Pincushion or Sheri’s at A Quilting Life to see the parade. And thank you to both of them for putting this together each month all year!
I appliqued the flowers, leaves, and stems on the borders, then sewed the borders to the blocks. I appliqued the corner flowers on after the borders were sewn on – too many seams under them! Now it’s pinned and I’m working on the quilting.
Moving right along –
On the left are the borders. On the right is the pile of scraps after I trimmed the doll blocks to size.
The applique shapes cut out and marked. I’ll remove the paper before I stitch them on.
The blocks are done and I have revised directions in case I ever make this again – or in case anyone else decides to make it.
The instructions in the book are really limited – not a problem if you’ve been quilting for a while. Then there is a page of templates for the dolls and they are definitely not rotary friendly. They are drawn cut size. If I made it again, I’d sketch it out finished size and paper piece it. As careful as I was, there were a few issues. One of them is that the pieces are just a little bit different in size on opposite sides and the difference is so small that it’s hard to tell by looking. But, sew them wrong and the block is very wonky where it shouldn’t be. And it’s hard to cut with paper templates without shaving a bit off here and there. Drawing around a harder template still throws the seam line off just enough to throw off the accuracy. I think it would be much more accurate paper pieced. Much as I personally don’t like that method, this would be my exception!
Another change: The directions say to add a 1 1/2″ strip on each side of the doll blocks. Because they weren’t exactly the same size, and a couple weren’t quite square, I cut the strips bigger so I could trim the blocks up to be square and the same size. The other thing I’m doing is waiting to trim the blocks until after I make the sides. If you look back at picture of the quilt in the book, you can see there are triangles on the sides. I thought it would be easier to finish the sides, then figure how big to make the blocks and that’s turning out to be the case.
Many years ago, I saw this quilt –
And I knew I had to make it. It’s from this book –
Truly was what I’d named one of the first small porcelain dolls I made so it seemed doubly perfect.
Here’s what I have so far –
Ready to assemble the doll blocks